Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Anticipation

In but a few hours the results will start to come in for the historic U.S. election. The whole world is indeed watching in anticipation. Here in Jerusalem a main nightclub is staying open all night (it is Tuesday, remember!) for an election party. A group of Brits living down the street are having their own fiesta. A large number of my classmates are hosting get togethers or attending more formal events. This all sounds very normal, but we must take into account that it will be 2:30am Israeli time when the results start coming in, and when the polls close in California it will be 5:00am. CNN just announced that in the U.S., Starbucks is giving out free coffee today, Krispy Kreme is giving out donuts, and Ben and Jerry's is giving out free scoops.
I respect CNN's Christiane Amanpour, their Chief International Correspondent. She describes this election as being "The election that will change the world". Big words for someone who has reported on South Africa's election of Nelson Mandela in 1994, overcoming apartheid.
I will not be up the whole night, but I think that I will not be able to help myself from checking in and M. in Ottawa has promised me that she will be sure to rouse me when key results start being reported. Let's all stay tuned.

No comments: