Saturday, September 13, 2008

Boppin' like Machina



Thursday night a couple of friends and I had the pleasure of heading down to Jerusalem's old train station, now a regular outdoor concert and festival venue, to take in the reunion tour of favourite Israeli band Machina (huge from the mid-1980s until mid-1990s, and who then reunited in 2003) joined by the lead singer's cousin Ehud Banai (the Banai family is apparently Israel's best known family of entertainers). The concert itself contained a snapshot of so much that I will be learning and experiencing this year- the spirit of the crowd, the energy (yes, we exist, we are alive), lyrics that incorporated all sorts of biblical and historical imagery, all sorts of people, different emotions, reference to all sorts of places in Israel and in the heavens.


The first week of classes was full and enriching, characterized by the feeling of my eyes opening and me then being overwhelmed by my surroundings. I am in the process of becoming aware of all that is out there as I am learning the tools to access the wealth of Jewish tradition. Overwhelming, yes, and even tedious at times, but also exhilirating.

For me the key to any successful 'study' experience is finding the right atmosphere in which to actually engage in study/reading. Light jazz/blues music and the availability of caffeine and snacks are vital. This week I have settled on two gems, both in the German Colony : The first is the Coffee Mill on Emek Refa'im, and the second is Lev Smadar, just off of Emek on Lloyd George. I consider studying at these locales to be a form of experiencing Israel whilst nose is to book, and to be surrounded by a peaceful community while I am on the lonely learning island. As my bubbe often says, though "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". In other words, there is such a thing as too much studying. Getting out and about is a necessary way to maintain balance and not get too caught up in books. Action, after all, is a necessary element of prayer- a prayer that is not connected to any action is empty. Prayer is thankfulness for existence/living, so studying prayer must include the latter ;-).
Speaking of prayer, this shabbat was again lovely. I attended a kabbalat shabbat service at Shira Hadasha (a new song), a modern liberal orthodox congregation, with friends from HUC. In Jerusalem sirens sound just before the sun is about to set on Friday to indicate that Shabbat is about to begin. The sirens aren't scary or offputting, as sirens can be, but herald peace. The sirens were matched by a beautiful sunset. Walking to Shira Hadasha I felt myself easing into the Shabbat vibe, breathing more deeply and slowly, enjoying my surroundings. The service at Shira Hadasha was warm and enthusiastic, and after services I enjoyed a wonderful dinner with friends, full of great conversation. On Saturday proper I attended morning services at Moreshet Yisrael, the Conservative shul just a few blocks away from my apartment. I adored the sanctuary there, dignified, though warm and familiar. The woman who acted as usher could well have been the bubbe of the congregation, how she was so careful to take care of us! Two new friends, one a student last year at HUC, had an aliyah in honour of their recent engagement, and in all the service was comfortable and enjoyable. Throughout Shabbat I meditated on the nature of kavanna (intent), on my desire to learn about all streams of Judaism, on my affinity towards services where there is warmth, and on the ability to discern the difference. I am testing out, figuring out, what makes things work for me, and beginning to understand how all that we are learning is connected to all that I will be experiencing in this land.


Shavua tov,
D ;-)

No comments: